Mandatory Credit: Mike Carter-USA TODAY Sports
Shilique Calhoun/ EDGE/ Michigan State
6’5″/ 250lbs/ RS Sr/ #89
Overview: Shilique Calhoun is a very gifted athlete and smart football player, he has a keen eye for the ball and has a good sense of how to attack blockers. The only major knocks on this Spartan is how slow he plays and how tangled up he can get when taking on blockers, but… there may be good reason for it. Calhoun’s natural talent, versatility, and smarts will make him a hot commodity as draft time comes around.
More from NFL Draft
- Packers’ Lukas Van Ness will make a Lambeau leap into the NFL in 2023
- 2024 NFL Draft: Hunter Haas’ Top 50 Big Board
- NFL preseason Week 3: Notre Dame’s Mayer, Foskey with something to prove
- NFL Draft Notebook: Bo Nix is the third-best quarterback in the 2024 NFL Draft
- Mac Jones ‘a pretty flexible guy’; Patriots QB earning kind words from Belichick
– Athletically Gifted
• Size, speed, and strength, has every physical tool to become a dominant force in the NFL
– Smart Defender
• He can diagnose run from pass and attack accordingly
• Finds lanes between blockers, can jump in, and get to the ball carrier
• In Michigan State’s shape shifting defense, he lines up at defensive end and outside linebacker depending on the defensive front with decent success at both.
* I still firmly believe that ex-Michigan State defensive coordinator and current University of Pittsburgh head coach Pat Narduzzi will soon make his way into the NFL *
– Too Smart?
• He has a tendency to slow down and pull up when tracking the play
• Waits for lanes to open up rather than attacking and turning the edge
– Too Light
• Can get caught up on blockers and gets pushed around.
• Gets stood up and looses all his leverage to the better balanced and heavier offensive linemen
– Limited Pass Rush
• On occasion, Calhoun seems to forget he has hands, he’ll lock up on blockers and hope
Take a look at Calhoun’s performance against Oregon from earlier this season, courtesy of our friends at DraftBreakdown.com
Prospect Grade: B+
Draft Projection: Second Round