If you haven’t pinpointed Chicago Bears TE Martellus Bennett as one of your top fantasy football sleepers for a PPR (points per reception) league, you need to check out your league’s waiver wire. As it currently stands, Bennett is un-owned in about 15 percent of leagues – something that should be, and will be changed in the weeks to come.
You’ll find it hard to find Bennett as a free agent, so you’ll have to turn to the move that could define your fantasy football season – the in-season trade.
Reliable tight ends are hard to find in today’s NFL, so when you have the chance to grab a guy like Bennett, you almost have to jump at the opportunity immediately. If someone in your league has the Bears TE tucked away on their bench, it’s up to you to make the move.
Bennett hauled in eight catches in Sunday’s game against the Bills, totaling 70 yards and a touchdown. He was targeted 10 times by QB Jay Cutler.
The Bears schedule features several weak defensive opponents in the coming weeks. If you have a guy like Charles Clay starting for you now, it might be wise to take a look over in Chicago where the points are going to keep flowing – on the field and in fantasy football.
If you need five reasons to make yourself feel better about this move, we have them handy:
- Jay Cutler threw the ball 49 times last week.
- The Bears have injuries at the receiver spot already.
- In an offense with Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery, nobody will be double-teaming Bennett, leaving him with a whole lot of targets.
- Only Dennis Pitta of the Ravens had more catches than Bennett last week – a PPR player’s best friend.
- Finally, it’s the Bears. The offensive production will be huge the entire season under Marc Trestman.
You lost week one…you’re feeling pretty bad about your team. It’s never too early to make a blockbuster deal.
Give away your extra bench running back and risky starting tight end for a guy that is going to make an impact immediately.