The Carolina Panthers appeared destined to be first in line for a new head coach after the first quarter of last season, when they were 1-3 and appeared to be underachieving once again. As the story goes, the Panthes won 11 of their last 12 games and wound up hosting a playoff game, tough unfortunately for them it ended in a disappointing playoff loss.
The Panthers won 12 games last year. They have made some interesting moves over the last couple of offseasons but the most prominent move they have made is letting go of Steve Smith, who has been with the team since 2001. Smith signed with the Baltimore Ravens, and the Panthers were left with a gaping hole at the receiver position.
Not only that, but the Panthers also saw about half of their offensive line leave for retirement, including left tackle Jordan Gross.
As is such, the WR and OT positions are the two that the Panthers will have to focus on early in the draft. Here’s how their offseason is going.
- WR Brandon LaFell (Patriots)
- WR Steve Smith (Ravens)
- CB Captain Munnerlyn (Vikings)
- WR Ted Ginn Jr. (Cardinals)
- WR Domenik Hixon (Bears)
- OT Bruce Campbell (Redskins)
- S Michael Mitchell (Steelers)
- LB Jordan Senn (Bears)
- OG Jeff Byers (retired)
- OL Geoff Hangartner (retired)
- OT Jordan Gross (retired)
- S Thomas DeCoud (Falcons)
- TE Ed Dickson (Ravens)
- DT Colin Cole (re-signed)
- WR Jason Avant (Eagles)
- QB/WR Joe Webb (Vikings)
- CB Antoine Cason (Cardinals)
- WR Tiquan Underwood (Buccaneers)
- WR Jerricho Cotchery (Steelers)
- TE Mike McNeill (Rams)
- QB Derek Anderson (re-signed)
- CB James Dockery (re-signed)
- OT Byron Bell (tendered)
- TE Richie Brockel (re-signed)
- OT Gary Williams (re-signed)
- K Graham Gano (re-signed)
Panthers Team Needs
1. Offensive Tackle
With Jordan Gross now retired, the Panthers have a hole at left tackle that needs filling. They also could upgrade at right tackle.
1a. Wide Receiver
With Steve Smith and Brandon LaFell gone, the Panthers need a few new receivers and have gone to FA for some, but they need some top picks in there to compete.
The loss of Captain Munnerlyn to the Vikings opens up a spot for Carolina at the CB position, where they definitely had some guys over-achieve last year.
5. Running Back