The New York Giants are not taking lightly their decline this past season, not making the playoffs after starting last year 0-6. The G-men finished with seven wins in their final 10 games, but that wasn’t enough for them to not overhaul the roster this offseason in free agency, where they have been–somewhat quietly–major players.
The Giants have added the likes of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Walter Thurmond, Geoff Schwartz, and Rashad Jennings while also losing a lot of big name players.
This draft will be huge for the Giants as they need to get back to prominence in the NFC East if Tom Coughlin is going to keep his job much longer.
- C David Baas (released)
- S Ryan Mundy (Bears)
- TE Brandon Myers (Buccaneers)
- DT Linval Joseph (Vikings)
- LB Keith Rivers (Bills)
- DE Justin Tuck (Raiders)
- WR Hakeem Nicks (Colts)
- OG Kevin Boothe (Raiders)
- LB Spencer Paysinger (tendered)
- LB Mark Herzlich (re-signed)
- LB Jon Beason (re-signed)
- CB Trumaine McBride (re-signed)
- S Stevie Brown (re-signed)
- QB Curtis Painter (re-signed)
- DE/LB O’Brien Schofield (Seahawks)
- RB Rashad Jennings (Raiders)
- OL Geoff Schwartz (Chiefs)
- C J.D. Walton (Broncos)
- FB Henry Hynoski (re-signed)
- LB Jameel McClain (Ravens)
- S Quintin Demps (Chiefs)
- CB Walter Thurmond (Seahawks)
- CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Broncos)
- RS Trindon Holliday (Broncos)
- WR Mario Manningham (49ers)
- OG John Jerry (Dolphins)
Giants Top Team Needs
1. Defensive End
The Giants have lost Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora the past two seasons. They drafted Damontre Moore last year, but they will need to be searching for pass rush upgrades this year.
Will Beatty broke his leg at the end of last season, and with Geoff Schwartz now signed it might be an indication that the team plans to move last year’s first rounder Justin Pugh to guard. They could use an upgrade at LT.
3. Defensive Tackle
With Linval Joseph gone, the Giants have a gaping hole in the middle of their defense. They used a high draft pick last year on Johnathan Hankins but need some more beef on the inside.
4. Outside Linebacker
5. Tight End
6. Wide Receiver
2014 Draft Picks