On Jake Locker–buy, buy, buy. Locker is a first round quarterback again. In a year when the prospects are so close to each other in terms of overall grade, the 2o11 NFL Scouting Combine is actually going to hold weight for guys this year. That 3-5% that typically is involved in the process will actually move some guys up and down draft boards, and Locker solidified to me today why he is the second ranked quarterback on our list here at NFL Mocks.
Locker will likely be the third quarterback selected, but he could be back in the top 20 mix, if not higher. Mike Mayock of the NFL Network believes he has top ten talent, and I think you could see the Vikings, Dolphins, and Jaguars as three squads that will give him a good look. In fact, I think Minnesota would be licking their chops to be able to get an athlete like Locker with the 12th selection.
Another couple of guys who have stood out today:
- Leonard Hankerson–showed at Miami that he’s a good route runner, good body control. I thought he was a tight end, to be honest when watching him at the U, and now he runs a 4.45 40 yard dash, solidifying his status as a top five receiver in a somewhat top heavy draft at that position.
- Edmund Gates of Abeline Christian and Ricardo Lockette of Fort Valley State both ran in the 4.35 range in the 40 yard dash.
- Julio Jones ran a 4.39 and A.J. Green ran a 4.48. Jon Baldwin was also in the 4.45 range. The top three receivers in the draft all have good speed. I think Jones could wind up being the most consistent pro. Green reminds me a lot of a Randy Moss type.
- Loved what I saw out of Ryan Mallett today throwing the ball. That was expected.
- Andy Dalton looked good as well. Great accuracy on his throws.
- Tough day in the gauntlet for other receivers. Not many guys were able to catch balls away from their bodies, but I will go back through them all again.